Sunday, July 24, 2011

Just a Checkup

Nothing exciting this time around, just a regular checkup. I've been having trouble getting the bees to move upstairs. I moved two frames upstairs a while back, but as soon as all of the bees hatched out of their cells, they seemed to vacate and move back downstairs, leaving empty comb up top. Here is a picture of one of empty frames they left upstairs:

I tried moving another frame upstairs, so hopefully the bees take a hint after this. You can see the darker colored frames are the ones from downstairs that I've moved up (2 from last time, 1 with bees on it that I just moved up there):

The other thing that I did this time is fill the buckets around the base posts with vinegar. Apparently vinegar removes the scent of ant trails (which is why I have the buckets there, to keep the ants out of the feeders).





This is also the first time that I have checked the hive and I haven't seen Queenie. I saw some eggs down in the bottom box, so nothing to be alarmed about. As the hive gets bigger, it will be more and more difficult to find her.

No comments:

Post a Comment