Sunday, July 10, 2011

Babees!

I did another inspection today, I didn't have anything specific to do, so I decided to try to clear off some of the propolis that has been collecting. I am using a little mason jar to collect it so maybe I can use it for something later. Here is a picture of my jar of propolis (the orange stuff) along with some of the other things I recently got (I spray bottle of rubbing alcohol to clean my tools and a little blue tote to carry my tools around):


The bees seem to have started another nodule (on the exact same frame as they did before), I should have whacked it off so they don't spend time on it, but I didn't get a very good look inside to see if it was empty again - so I just left it for now. Here is the new nodule (middle left of the frame):

Most of the activity is still down in the lower hive, the bees are doing a great job drawing comb on the two new frames that I put in last week (because I put two old brood frames from the bottom box up in the top brood box). It doesn't look like the queen has visited the top box yet, but I did get to witness a few baby bees (babees, haha, get it?) coming out of their cells in the top top brood frames! The queen laid those eggs before I moved the frames, it takes about 21 days from when the egg is laid until a fully developed worker bee emerges from it's cell. Queens take only 16 days to develop, and drones take 24 days. Here is a picture of my baby bees hatching (there is one bee coming out of a cell head first, that is the one I watched hatch. The bees coming out butt first are adult bees just going into a cell for a peek. If you look at some of the other cell cappings, you can see some more baby bees trying to come out of their cells).

One strange thing that I encountered when checking my top brood box was some yucky little white larvae in the feeder. Gross... I cleaned out the feeder thoroughly and refilled it.  I hope these little guys just go away.

Brandon also put up these nifty signs that I had made. Mom wanted me to put up some sort of sign to warn her gardeners about the bees, I figure it is probably a good idea to have those up from a liability stand point:

No comments:

Post a Comment