Sunday, April 27, 2014

Split Success!

Hooray! Today I checked in on the little split, and they have brood, eggs and larvae! Check it out:


I'm so happy this little hive has successfully raised its own queen. Since I didn't remove half of the bees, it seems like the yellow hive still swarmed, but it's good to know that I gave this little hive enough resources to produce their own queen. I didn't feed the split sugar water at all during the entire process, which was probably a bit of a gamble since we are in such a drought year. I did provide them with capped honey from the original hive though.

These guys have about 4 drawn frames right now, I bet I have about a month before I need to add another box. I never intended to keep this hive, so I'll need to sell them in the next month before they get too big to transport.

Anyone looking to buy a beehive? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment