Saturday, October 8, 2011

Queen Sighting

Just did a regular check up today. I found the queen, so phew! I guess I didn't really see two eggs in one cell last time.

In general, everything seems to be in really good shape. The top deep is getting very heavy with honey, Brandon has to help me lift it now. A deep full of honey weighs more than a deep full of brood, if the deep were completely full, it could weigh around 100 pounds. Too bad I've already started the Apiguard medication or I would have considered taking a frame of honey - humans shouldn't eat medicated honey (it's fine for the bees though). Here is a deep frame filled with honey and capped (meaning that the honey comb has been sealed with wax):


I can tell that there are more bees in the hive than the first time I did an Apiguard treatment because the bees actually cleared out the whole tray in 2 weeks. I put on the second tray of Apiguard today.

No comments:

Post a Comment