Sunday, September 25, 2011

Kizzling Around with the Bees

My friend, Erica (from "Kizzling Around",) came to visit this weekend. She took some really awesome pictures of the bees while she was here. Here is a picture of Erica all bee-suited up:

Here is a picture that I am actually really worried by. I am not sure how I spotted this, since bee eggs are very small, but I am sure that I saw two eggs in one cell. I read that the queen only ever lays one egg per cell, and if you see two eggs in a cell you almost certainly have a laying worker. Eggs look like a miniature, slender grain of rice in the center of a cell standing on end. Here is the cell that I think has two eggs in it (you can see that the surrounding cells have one egg per cell):
 
Here is a really high resolution picture that Erica took of some more bee eggs:

Here is a picture that Erica took of some larvae (the white things in some of the uncapped cells):

Another concerning thing that I spotted was this beetle (hiding in a cell, I found another one in the feeder, but I only saw two):

I also found this little bit of burr comb between the top and bottom deep (I scraped it off and saved it):

Here one more nice photo (of bees taking off and landing at the entrance of the hive):

Other than taking photos, I also fed the bees and started the fall treatment of Apiguard so I can ready the bees for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment