Sunday, June 5, 2011

New parent anxiety

Last night I went to mom's house so that I could let the bees out in the morning before I went to work. The weather was pretty rainy out, so I left the bees locked in their hive (as Cheryl at Bear Foot Honey suggested). But when I went to go check on them, there were hundreds of bees clustered around the hive entrance (imagine about 2 cups of bees bundled up in front of the hive - since we accidentally deleted the picture).


Since it was late in the day, I thought it was best to just leave them - especially since I wasn't sure if those were my bees (who maybe managed to escape) or if they were neighbor bees trying to rob my hive.


This morning I went to let the bees out, and there were still hundreds clustered out front. I brushed them away with my bee brush and removed the screen keeping the bees in the hive. Only one or two were curious enough to come outside - it was pretty cold out, so that is probably normal but my first thought was "Oh my God, I killed them. I killed them by locking them up for the weekend".

Later in the day, Mom assured me there were lots of bees flying around the hive, so they are probably fine. I'll feel better when I can do my first hive inspection this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment