Sunday, June 12, 2011

First Inspection

Today I did my first hive inspection. I was a little nervous, so I wore the bee suit and leather gloves to protect myself from stings.

The bees are very calm when you take them out of the hive - they just continue crawling around on the frames and doing their business.

I only got through checking 8 of the frames because I was frantically searching for the queen to make sure she was ok. I did find Queenie (this is what I have named her), and she seemed happy enough, so I just put her back in the hive without checking the last two frames. Below is a picture of Queenie (she has the white dot on her):


Today I also added on the second deep, in general, once the bees are done drawing comb on 8 of the frames in the lower deep, you should give them more room. So I added one new frame to their bottom deep, moved their feeder up to the top deep, then placed the top deep on the hive.

One concerning thing that I noticed was a supersedure cell - the bees make this when they are planning to replace the queen. When there is only one, it doesn't seem to be a problem (from what I've read). If I had spotted 5+, there is a big problem (because I want the bees to use my queen rather than making their own). I'll take a picture of this during the next inspection.

No comments:

Post a Comment