Thursday, May 22, 2014

Agriculture Inspection

This honey hobby is becoming much more official, today I got an agriculture inspection from Santa Clara county!


This was a lot less complicated than I thought, and now I can legally sell honey products at any Farmers Market in California!

The process was:
  1. Fill out an application to be a Certified Producer
  2. Set up an appointment with the Santa Clara County Department of Agriculture's Biologist to inspect the hives for the Certified Producer application and register the hives with the County.
  3. Pay Inspection Fees.
  4. Done!
During the appointment, the Agricultural Biologist confirms that you can produce as much as you say on your form, this is done by merely looking at the hives and confirming you have the number you say you do. The main goal of these inspections is to provide a contact for learning more about local regulations. The Agricultural Biologist was able to provide me with information about labeling my honey correctly and what sorts of products I can sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment