Thursday, March 14, 2013

Granulated Honey

Well, I'm very glad that I didn't bottle that January honey - it granulated in the bucket. Here is what it looks like now, the little marks are where I tried to poke it with my finger and then later went at it unsuccessfully with a spatula:

I also have a few bottles of honey left, here is a picture that I took of the July vs. August honey today:

The August honey is now a creamy color and as solid as a rock (like the honey in the bucket)! Not to worry though, honey doesn't go bad, so this is still very tasty. In order to get it out of the little plastic bottle, you'll have to soak it in a bowl of hot water for a few hours - not too hot though, you should be able to hold your hand in the bowl without burning yourself. If the water is too hot you'll melt the plastic. DON'T MICROWAVE THOSE PLASTIC BOTTLES! You'll definitely melt the bottle. Once you've soaked the bottle, the honey should be soft enough to spoon out into a wide mouthed glass jar where you can store it and microwave it later. The honey is still very tasty in coffee, tea, and baked goods. You can eat it plain, but I much prefer the smooth texture to the granulated one.

No comments:

Post a Comment