Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Second Honey Harvest

For our second honey harvest, we enlisted some happy helpers (Thanks Cliff, Emma, and Russel!) It was a good thing too, since we were harvesting 40 medium frames of honey on a weeknight. Here is happy helper, Emma, holding a full frame of honey:

Here are Russel and Emma decapping some frames:

I think this process may have convinced me to get an extractor of my own for next year, just so that I can have it when I need it. I wasn't really expecting to need to harvest a second time, so the extractor that I borrow from the Beekeepers' Guild of San Mateo County was booked every weekend. Overall we got about 7 gallons of honey, the process took pretty much all night, even with the 5 of us working on it. We also got a lot of wax from the cappings and burr comb:

No comments:

Post a Comment