Sunday, August 7, 2011

Feeding the Bees

I asked Chery about leaving the gap open (between the top deep and the hive top) and she said the bees would patch it up, so I went ahead and put the feeder on. Below is a picture of the hive top feeder, it has two wells to put sugar water in and it has a mesh screen in hte middle. The bees have to come up through the middle to get to the sugar water. Since they have to climb on the mesh, they don't drown like they do on the board feeder (where they can access the sugar water more directly).

Here is a picture of the gap that the bees are going to have to fill (I don't think you can see the bees in the photo, but when I look through the gap I can see the bees walking around):

Here is a picture of what the hive looks like now (a little taller now, I left the inner cover off to the side because I don't need it anymore. You usually put it on so that the outer cover can easily be removed, but since the bees no longer have access to the outer cover anymore I don't need the inner cover):

No comments:

Post a Comment